£20.67 - £21.70 per hour
about 1 month ago
Our client is seeking a Debt Recovery and Income Control Team Leader on an initial 6 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
36 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
- To manage debt collection of a single or combination of debt portfolios as required by the service including Housing Benefit Over payment, Adult Social Care, Sundry Debt and/or any debt recovery portfolio managed within local government
- This needs to be achieved in accordance with the Debt Recovery Strategy, current legislation and Council Policy, to improve recovery performance and manage bad debt effectively.
- To manage a team of debt recovery staff and ensure they recover monies owed in an efficient and speedy manner, giving absolute attention to the financial interests of the Council in terms of revenue stream, subsidy and anti poverty policies
- As required, to manage the Council's corporate income, preparation and processing of invoices and bank deposits in compliance with the Council's financial regulations, policies and procedures
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Make a positive contribution to the delivery of the service, this will include working flexibly and positively to achieve the objectives of the council.
- Manage and lead staff to achieve high performance and effective operational delivery, including developing and improving staff capability, motivating, mentoring and coaching them and providing regular feedback.
- Manage a customer focused service and the effective use of resources.
- Develop effective working relationships with key stakeholders, act as an ambassador and advocate with external organisations.
- Ensure the processing of all income management and control functions is done in compliance with the Council's financial regulations, policies and procedures, and ensure sufficient management controls exist on the team to provide confidence in compliance with these.
- Ensure that exception reports are analysed and issues causing exceptions addressed.
- Set challenging, measurable individual recovery targets for staff; continue to monitor and report on performance against those targets and address all qualitative and quantitative performance issues speedily, according to Council policies.
- Implement the applicable Debt Strategy on the team using a range of recovery methods, actively identifying barriers to optimum performance and be able to adapt and work in a continually changing environment.
- Ensure team members make suitable arrangements for payment with claimants and stakeholder debtors, having in mind the financial interest of the Council at all times.
- Maintain a working knowledge of debt collection methods and appropriate income controls. In particular a good working knowledge of the relevant debt recovery regulations and the Council's financial regulations and how those regulations are applied to the incidence and recovery of debt and income control.
- Present complex information in a clear and reasoned format, for a variety of key internal and external stakeholders.
- To proactively manage staff in accordance with corporately agreed policies and procedures, including sickness absence, capability, disciplinary, Fairness at Work etc.
- Safeguarding is everyone's responsibility and all employees are required to act in such a way that at all times safeguards the health and well being of children and vulnerable adults.
- Carry out duties with due regard to the council's customer care, equal opportunities, information governance, data protection and health and safety policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of this post.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience in a local authority debt collection environment.
- Experience in dealing with a diverse customer base in a challenging environment Skills and Abilities.
- Ability to be able to manage people, performance and budgets.
- Ability to manage own workload, prioritise tasks effectively and to consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to analyse, evaluate and interpret complex legislation and numerical information.
- Ability to identify effective solutions and make sound judgements and decisions.
- Understanding of the necessity for management and financial controls, and the ability to devise and implement these.
- Ability to embrace new technology and to develop own learning to enhance own performance.
- Ability to coach and develop staff through personal development plans, providing constructive appraisals of performance and facilitate training needs.
- Ability to adhere to the Council's Equal Opportunities Policy.
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases