£27.31 - £30 per hour + Paye / Umbrella
about 1 month ago
3 Months +
We have an exciting opportunity for a Contracts Lawyer to join our busy offices based in Guildford on a temporary basis for 3 months with the possibility of an extension. We are looking for someone to start ASAP, working 37 hours per week, at £27.31 p/h.
To provide legal advice and support to the Borough Council, its officers, employees and councillors in relation to planning, contract, procurement, project and related property matters.
To provide support to the Council Solicitor and Principal for Contracts, Procurement and Property (and as required to the Principal Solicitor Planning and Litigation and Principals Corporate Solicitors with regard to the conduct of legal casework).
To provide competent representation for the Council at the Law Courts, Tribunals and meetings as may be required by the nature of the work.
As the Contracts Lawyer, your main duties will include:
- To undertake individual casework of planning, contracts, procurement and project matters as may be allocated.
- To advise and deal with all legal issues arising during the contracting process and in relation to tendering procedures and EU procurement legislation as well as matters relating to projects which may arise including property work.
- To negotiate, draft and complete all types of contractual and other legal documentation as may be required from time to time.
- To provide legal advice on disputes arising from contracts entered into by the Council.
- To advise on constitutional issues which arise in relation to their cases.
- To create and update the Council's contract templates.
- To assist with the supervision of the Trainee Solicitor on relevant cases as required.
- To draft contractual and property documentation, and to coordinate, assist, and where appropriate, lead in the project as required.
- To give legal support and advice to Officers and Members of the Executive, Council and other Council committees in respect of the areas of law which fall within the post holder's area of competence.
- To keep up to date with developments in the areas of law and provide that information to relevant senior Council Officers and members of the Legal Services' Team as necessary, including the provision of formal training.
- To assist in draft reports, review, comment on and prepare legal implications for reports to the Council, its Executive, full Council, other Council committees and other Officer/Member level meetings.
- To maintain a record of all training and development are undertaken
- At all times to follow the requirements and obligations of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act and the specific Health and Safety Guidelines produced by the Council
- At all times to observe and follow both the spirit of and specific obligations placed on all staff by the Council's Equal Opportunities Policy
- To undertake such other tasks commensurate with the post holder's experience and qualifications as may be allocated from time to time by the Council Solicitor, and Principal Solicitors
To be successful for this Contracts Lawyer post you will need to have:
- Admitted solicitor, barrister or Legal Executive
- Knowledge of either procurement law and practice, contract law, local government, administrative law or property law.
- Previous experience of working in a local government legal department
- Experience of interpreting, advising and drafting legal agreements
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.