£10.37 - £11.00 per hour
26 days ago
Our client is seeking a Communications And Marketing Assistant on the initial 2 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 hours per week
Monday - Friday
- To build positive relationships with Elected Members, officers, partners, media organisations and the community to deliver professional internal and external communications and events that positively promote the Council, its corporate and civic activities, strategies, services and successes.
- Assist in providing advice, support and action on corporate communications, media and events in support of the Council's service units, projects and activities.
- To assist in the development and use of digital technology for promotion and marketing.
Duties and Responsibilities-
- Be committed to the Council's Vision and carry out work within the spirit and intention of its core values.
- An understanding and awareness of the concept of "Making Every Contact Count" (MECC), attending training where necessary.
- Contribute to the delivery and review of service standards, quality and performance targets in accordance with Corporate and Service Unit delivery and business plans.
- To contribute to the production of relevant Corporate delivery plans and the annual Service Unit business plan.
- To ensure that due regard is given to all enquiries, requests and complaints from Elected Members and customers and ensure that any necessary action is taken efficiently.
- To work to ensure that the Service Unit seeks excellence in its service to its customers, both internal and external.
- To work in compliance with the Council's policies on Health and Safety, Equal opportunities, Customer Care, Discipline and Grievance and any other adopted Corporate Policies.
- To assist in the financial management and control of budgets relating to services and projects delivered by the Communications Team.
- To make use of the technology available to improve communications within the Service Unit and the Council as a whole.
- To network and support working relationships and partnerships with officers, Elected Members, businesses, visitors and other agencies as required to fulfil the job purpose.
- To undertake such other duties as appropriate to the grading of the post.
- Ensure effective communications systems and processes are in place to capture and promote information about the Council, and to ensure best use of medium e.g. Website, Social Media, Council publications, broadcast media etc. This will include monitoring of team inboxes.
- To assist in the research, writing and distribution of press releases to media relating to events across the Council.
- Assist in the Identification of opportunities for positive news stories and devise strategies for mitigating circumstances with potential to cause adverse publicity.
- Building and maintaining effective communications between the Council and the media.
- Be prepared to attend Council meetings and Civic Events in order to liaise with any press in attendance.
- Monitor media coverage and assist in the press cuttings service.
- Assist in the production of Council publications including research, writing stories, overseeing design and print process. Note: Council publications include but are not limited to press releases, council magazines/ newspapers, leaflets, guides, information sheets, media interviews etc.
- Carry out day-to-day activities, including daily website maintenance, responding to queries within deadlines, the preparation and distribution of press releases, 'In Today's News' and managing 'In boxes' and Social Media accounts supported by the department.
- Provide advice when appropriate on media relations to employees and Councillors.
- Advising on the use of the corporate identity and appropriate themes and displays for public events and activities. Ensure internal and corporate documents comply with corporate style guidelines.
- To actively seek out ways to improve the communications and make the best use of digital marketing resources to promote events. This will include responding to comments made on social media and posting items as appropriate.
- Contribute towards devising innovative ideas for internal and external communications and events within set budgets.
- Where necessary, to provide support to neighbouring District/Borough Councils within or outside core working hours e,g. mutual support arrangements.
- Input into the development of the Councils web and intranet (CLIP) sites and moderate/update the website and intranet (CLIP) as directed.
- Assist in the development, review and delivery of corporate strategies including internal and external communication, consultation and press protocol. Carry out research and analysis in relation to communications and consultation as required.
- Undertake such other duties as appropriate to the grading of the post.
Skills and Experience-
- Recent and relevant experience in one or more of the following: media relations, journalism, social media communications.
- Political awareness and understanding.
- Experience of managing projects and working within deadlines.
- Experience of working with the general public.
- Educated to a level 2 or equivalent in a relevant subject
- Must have or be prepared to work towards an IOSHH qualification.
- High level of numeracy and literacy.
- Able to perform the role of a good ambassador for the Council, maintaining a confident and professional image at all times.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Good standard of keyboard skills and proficiency with a range of computer software packages, including Microsoft Office and use of the internet.
- Understanding of, and commitment to customer care.
- Able to handle sensitive, complex and confidential enquiries in a diplomatic and efficient manner.
- Be able to work on own initiative.
- Able to organise time effectively, work within tight deadlines and maintain accurate records.
- Excellent administrative and organisational skills.
- Self confident and able to work under pressure in difficult situations.
- Sets own high standards of performance.
- Be able to work in support of and as part of a team and share ideas within a team environment.
- Tact and diplomacy in all interpersonal relationships with the public, employees, Councillors and colleagues.
- Personal integrity and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- High level of personal energy, motivation and enthusiasm.
- To understand and be committed to the Council's Core Values and Vision.
- Good attendance record.
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.