St. Albans, Hertfordshire
£22.49 - £23.61 per hour
21 days ago
Our client is seeking a Building Surveyor on an initial 3 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To provide a comprehensive planned, preventative and reactive maintenance service for all the Council's non-housing property portfolio, land, plant and machinery maintenance together with procurement and monitoring of maintenance and facilities contracts and to deliver capital projects on time and within budget.
To support the Commercial Property Manager to identify opportunities to improve the efficiency/ cost effectiveness of maintenance and facilities contracts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In accordance with the Council's aims and objectives, deliver capital projects on time and within budget.
- Provide facilities management and security advice and support
- Provide building management advice underpinned by relevant condition surveys, schedules of dilapidation/condition, building insurance valuations.
- Provide a responsive and managed repair service for the Council's land and property holdings (including play equipment, MUGAs, etc.)
- Establish and develop an effective partnership with the Council's building and facilities contractors to monitor delivery, improve service performance and where necessary take appropriate action to address instances of non-performance.
- Manage and monitor the capital and revenue budgets related to the building & facilities service.
- Provide a high level of customer service within a professional and commercially aware environment.
- Manage a team of six staff with three direct reports covering repairs and maintenance and facilities management services across the whole of the Council's commercial and operational portfolio. Also to provide management cover and deputise for the Infrastructure Manager as required.
- Support the Commercial Property Manager to realise efficiency savings and investigate and promote new and innovative ways of delivering the service.
- Supporting the Commercial Property Manager to prepare capital and revenue budgets, reports and business cases relating to all property matters.
- Supporting the Commercial Property Manager to identify efficiency savings and opportunities to increase income relating to the Council's building and facilities contracts.
- Preparation and tendering of contracts relating to the appointment of consultants, services and works.
- Potentially hazardous situations encountered when visiting or working on site.
- Climbing stairs, ladders, scaffolding whilst in the operation of duties.
- Ability to analyse and evaluate qualitative and quantitative data and make sound judgements in relation to capital building, facilities and maintenance contracts.
- Ability to deal with complex problems and develop creative solutions to resolve them.
- Ability to write complex reports and specifications for procurement purposes.
- Ability to deputise for the Infrastructure Asset Manager.
- Ability to manage complex projects and multiple deadlines at the same time.
- Ability to cope with interruptions e.g. requests from colleagues and Members, and manage the requests effective.
- Ability to manage and prioritise requests from the Chief Executive, Heads of Service and Members, and respond appropriately.
- Ability to keep up to date with best practice through research and networking and apply it in practice.
There are no particular emotional demands
- Ability to be resilient and deal with dissatisfied customers that are emotional and intimidating.
- Ability to be resilient and deal with difficult internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to be resilient and deal with regular and repeated non-performance by consultants and tenants.
- Ability to attend site visits on a daily basis in inclement weather.
- Ability to work on site on a daily basis with hazardous materials and moving machinery.
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant working conditions when visiting sites.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience of working in a similar relevant role with a approximately 5 years' experience (more significant if not a member of a relevant professional body)
- Experience of delivering service objectives for a work area, including successful completion of projects and programmes of work
- Experience of managing budgets
- Evidence of dealing effectively with change and commitment to continuous improvement
- Experience of successfully leading a team
- Experience of developing and implementing policies, practices and service improvements
- Experience of preparing and competing for funding from external sources
- Experience & use of CAD packages
Disclaimer: By applying for this role, you give consent for your information to be forwarded to our Client(s) and information of which may be retained within our databases