£23.60 - £24.78 per hour
27 days ago
Our client is seeking a Building Control Surveyor on the initial 6 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
35 hours per week
Monday - Friday
To administer Building Control Regulation to achieve health and safety within the built environment. This includes dealing with complaints, service requests, business advice/training, investigation, project work, sampling and regular inspections of building work in progress. Undertake building control duties in accordance with the policies and procedures to comply with the minimum standards set down in the Building Regulations and for the quality assurance certificate in accordance with BS EN ISO9002
Duties and Responsibilities-
- Examine plans and particulars deposited with the Council for compliance with the Building Regulation standards.
- To be familiar with the minimum standards set down within the Building Regulation sufficient to ensure that building work will comply with the minimum standards.
- To prepare a schedule of contravention of the Building Regulations shown on the submitted plans and list any additional information that is required to determine compliance with the minimum standards set down in Building Regulations.
- To recommend the decision that should be made for those Building Regulation applications by the required performance standard dates.
- To liase with engineers, architects, developers, planners, approved inspectors and the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority and others on building regulation matters.
- To undertake site inspections to establish that building work in progress is being carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations and maintain accurate records of those sites visits sufficient to show the extent of the work inspected.
- To assist in the preparation of proofs of evidence and attend Court to give evidence in relation to the prosecution of constructors where appropriate.
- To deal with complaints relating to building work being undertaken prior to the formal building regulation submission being received by the Council to identify the extent of the work to which the regulations apply. To identify the owner and builder of the works and take any action appropriate in accordance with the policy statement set down for Building Control.
- To advise London Borough of Merton staff, local residents, local builders and other interested parties of the minimum standards set down by building regulations.
- To liase with Principal Building Control Surveyors before deciding whether the performance standard of the regulations is achieved using a lower standard than the prescribed standard of the approved documents supporting the building regulations.
- To participate in regional liaison groups as required.
- To participate in health and safety education activities.
- To prepare statutory notices in relation to contraventions of the building regulations.
- To carry out all duties in accordance with the Council's Corporate Policies covering Equal Opportunities and Customer Care.
- To ensure that Corporate and Departmental Health and Safety Policies are implemented at all times and to raise any concerns regarding their operation or any other health and safety matters with the appropriate line manager.
- To use office technology as required.
- To carry out all duties in accordance with the specified quality procedures.
- Such other duties within the scope of the grade indicated may be required from time to time by the Head of Planning and Public Protection.
- To bring to the attention of the Principal Building Control Surveyor reports on dangerous structures including recommendations for action.
- To deal with retrospective building regularisation submissions making recommendation about the degree of compliance with the standards set down within Building Regulations.
- Deal with all building regulation issues for less straightforward projects.
Skills and Experience-
- A technical knowledge of the standards set down within the National Building Regulations sufficient to judge whether building work complies with those standards.
- Knowledge of the associated legislation to enable enforcement of the building regulations to be undertaken.
- To have knowledge of the health and safety legislation affecting you when undertaking site inspections on behalf of the Council.
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally. (All Grades)
- Ability to work methodically and accurately to deadlines. (All Grades)
- Ability to prioritise own and others work and meet agreed deadlines. (All Grades)
- Understanding of customer care and ability to liaise effectively with the public and outside agencies. (All Grades)
- Ability to liaise effectively with other officers and senior management. (All Grades)
- Ability to understand and comply with the Council's operation, procedures and standing orders on technical and administrative matters including driving and using your car to undertake inspections. . (All Grades)
- Ability to manage, train and develop staff. (PO1 and above)
- Experience in the enforcement of the building regulations for simple projects is essential although applications from applicants who are newly qualified or are undertaking an appropriate course of study will be considered for this post (All Grades)
- The use of windows based computer operating systems will be required. (All Grades)
- To operate within an agreed policy statement and quality system (All Grades)
- An ability to climb ladders and undertake site inspections in a safe way is essential. (All Grades)
- You will be required to provide a car and drive to building sites for which you will be reimbursed a car allowance within the Council's scheme. (All Grades)
- An ability to record accurately details of the inspection of building work that has been undertaken sufficient to be able to defend the Council. (All Grades)
- Ability to report dangerous structures and recommends action to the Principal Building Control Surveyor. (Grade SO1 and above)
- Ability to deal with Regularisation Certificate applications making judgements about compliance with the Building Regulations making recommendations to issue certificates. (Grade SO1 and above)
- Experience in the enforcement of the building regulations for less straightforward projects (Grade SO1 and above)
- Ability to deal with Regularisation Certificate applications making judgements about compliance with the Building Regulations and authorising the issue of certificates. (Grade SO2 and above)
- Experience in the enforcement of the building regulations for more complex projects (Grade PO1and above)
- Undertake investigations into breaches of Building Control Legislation and make recommendations on the course of action to be adopted. (Grade PO1and above).
- Undertake investigations into breaches of Building Control Legislation for complex buildings and make recommendations on the course of action to be adopted. (Grade PO2 and above).
- To represent the section at meetings with other Local Authorities and outside bodies. (Grade PO2 and above).
- To supervise the technical staff dealing with Charges. (Grade PO2 and above).
- To deputise for the Principal Building Control Surveyor when required. (Grade PO3).
- To undertake audit functions to ensure compliance with the Quality system. (Grade PO3).
- To deal with complaints in accordance with the corporate complaints procedure. (Grade PO3).
- To provide and out of hours emergency call out arrangements to assess and take direct action to protect the public from perceived dangers. (Grade PO4)
- To direct staff to prioritise the level of inspection required to achieve compliance with the building regulations (Grade PO5)
- Undertake inspections and monitor safety at sports grounds in accordance with the safety at sports grounds legislation (Grade PO5)
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.