West End, London
£15.00 - £15.75 per hour
5 months ago
Our client is seeking a Assistant Enforcement Officer on an initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
36 Hours per week
Monday - Friday
To participate in the provision of the Borough's Trading Standards service including the enforcement of all the non Weights and Measures legislation, provision of advice to consumers about their rights and remedies in Civil law issues, and to businesses operating within the Borough about their obligations and any other activities which promote the Trading Standards service.
Duties and Responsibilities:
To carry out the full range of Trading Standards enforcement duties including the giving of consumer advice.
. To participate in project led work and occasionally to lead such projects.
. To maintain professional competence through legal and professional update and training.
. To carry out any other duties relevant to the post and the post holder's experience and which could include working outside normal office hours as required.
. Carry out reactive and proactive work, taking informal and formal action.
. Undertake planned inspections for trading standards within the Royal Borough.
. Respond to and investigate complaints and enquiries.
. Follow up and make revisits where informal or formal action has been taken.
. Instigate all necessary legal action in line with the Council's enforcement policy and procedures, including the preparation of proofs of evidence and acting as an expert witness in court.
. Ensure records and information are current on computer system.
. Adhere to quality assurance procedures.
. Meet performance targets for proactive and reactive work.
. Undertake projects and initiatives to improve the delivery of the service. These projects may reflect the impact of the wider environmental agenda on the operation of the businesses visited.
. Assist in ensuring the quality of the work of Enforcement Officers, providing advice and guidance to them as required.
. Keep abreast of legal and technical developments in trading standards.
. Participate in internal and external staff training programmes.
. Ensure effective liaison is maintained with other relevant colleagues about matters relating to work within their areas.
. Become familiar with and operate policies, procedures and techniques relevant to the job, keeping abreast of changes.
Skills and Experience:
* A sound knowledge of consumer law and consumer rights.
* An up to date knowledge of consumer affairs.
* A working knowledge of mercantile and/or civil law Communication Skills.
* An effective communicator with good listening skills, able to determine underlying and relevant issues and communicate decisions by telephone and in writing.
* Excellent interview skills.
* Professional telephone manner.
* Ability to communicate with people whose first language is not English Task-Related Qualities.
* I.T skills.
* Time management skills.
* Able to prioritise tasks and workload.
* Research skills.
* Customer care and focus.
* Mediation skills. Ps * Patient, well- mannered way of dealing with enquiries.
* Helpful, and firm when the occasion demands it.
* Confident with decision making
* Understanding of cultural diversity.
* Awareness of the Council's policy on racial discrimination, social inclusion and customer care.
* Able to deal with challenging customer behaviour.
For this role you will need the following:
- You are eligible to work in the UK.
- A suitable NI Number.
- Last 2 employers names.
- 3 Years written referencing (All gaps verified).
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.