St. Albans, Hertfordshire
£25.00 - £26.25 per hour
5 months ago
Our client is seeking an Accountant on the initial 4 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 hours per week
Monday - Friday
- To lead on the provision of financial planning, budget monitoring and other financial services for designated services.
- To support the Business Partnering Manager in the provision of a full range of professional support services to Councillors and senior managers, leading on key areas of activity as appropriate
Duties and Responsibilities-
- Provide high level financial advice and information, contributing to overall strategic and operational developments in a range of designated services.
Examples of such designated services/responsibilities include:
- Budget Planning and Monitoring in relation to revenue and capital
- Financial evaluations
- Financial research and policy development
- Business Partner/Budget Holder relationships
- Responsible for the accounting, budgeting and reporting arrangements for designated areas of the Council's revenue and capital programmes
- Analysis and interpretation of changes in legislation and accounting requirements ensuring compliance with CIPFA's Code of Practice on Local Authority Accounting, the Prudential Code for Capital Finance
- Support the Finance Manager Systems and Controls and the Team Leader Controls in the preparation of the Statutory Accounts.
- Support the Deputy Chief Executive (Finance and Legal) with the preparation of the Finance Strategy including the Medium Term Financial Strategy, HRA Business Plan, Capital Strategy and any associated strategies.
- To be responsible for the production of budget management reports to enable them to be presented to Budget Managers; Corporate Management Team; Cabinet; and, Overview and Scrutiny Committees in accordance with agreed timescales.
- To actively engage in the support programme to the Deputy Chief Executive (Finance and Legal) in relation to the annual budget cycle
- Support the development and implementation of systems, procedures and information processes in order to improve the level of financial support provided to the council.
- Carry out systematic bench-marking of council services and operations against other service providers, other councils and key performance indicators in order to inform managers and drive up council performance.
- Contribute to the management of the team of Finance Business Partners and support staff.
- Undertake other duties commensurate with the purpose and grade of the post as may be required from time to time.
Skills and Experience-
Up to date working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, standards and core disciplines of work area including:
- medium and long term planning
- budget preparation and monitoring
- service costing and SeRCOP
- fees and charges and
- variance analysis.
Knowledge and understanding of:
- functions of local government
- major issues and challenges facing specific work area
- performance management
- project working
- procurement and contract management
- new approaches to commercial activity in local government
- risk management
- Commitment to and clear understanding of equal opportunities
- Understanding of health and safety issues relevant to work area
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and work specific software packages including advanced excel.
- An understanding and working knowledge of the Housing Revenue Account and Housing capital.
- Experience of successfully achieving work area objectives in a relevant role
- Evidence of dealing effectively with change
- Understanding of continuous improvement
- Experience of monitoring budgets
- Experience of successfully supervising a team
- Experience of providing input into policy development and implementing policies, practices and service improvements
- Examples of having specialist technical knowledge in some areas
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.