St. Albans, Hertfordshire
£25.00 - £26.25 per annum
5 months ago
Our client is seeking an Accountant on the initial 3 month contract with the possibility of an extension.
37 hours per week
Monday - Friday
- To lead on the provision of financial planning, budget monitoring and other financial services for designated services.
- To support the Business Partnering Manager in the provision of a full range of professional support services to Councillors and senior managers, leading on key areas of activity as appropriate
Duties and Responsibilities-
- Provide tailored expert financial advice and information, which supports overall strategic and operational developments in a range of designated services.
- Examples of such designated services/responsibilities include:
Budget Planning and Monitoring in relation to revenue and capital
Financial research and policy development
Business Partner/Budget Holder relationships
- Responsible for the accounting, budgeting and reporting arrangements for designated areas of the Council's revenue and capital programmes and ensuring that these meet business needs and comply with statutory guidance.
- Ensure compliance with CIPFA's Code of Practice on Local Authority Accounting, the Prudential Code for Capital Finance.
- Support the Finance Manager Systems and Controls and the Team Leader Controls in the preparation of the Statutory Accounts in undertaking accountancy work.
- To be responsible for the production of budget management reports to enable them to be presented to Budget Managers; Corporate Management Team; Cabinet; and, Overview and Scrutiny Committees in accordance with agreed timescales.
- To actively engage in the support programme to the Deputy Chief Executive (Finance and Legal) in relation to the annual budget cycle.
- Support the development and implementation of systems, procedures and information processes in order to improve the level of financial support provided to the council.
- Carry out systematic bench-marking of council services and operations against other service providers, other councils and key performance indicators in order to inform managers and drive up council performance. Using this knowledge to provide proactive advice and guidance to managers on how best to handle their financial activities.
- Providing financial information, analysis and recommendations to business areas in order to enable management to make financially sound business decisions.
- Minimise risk of overspend and avoid financial problems going undetected.
Skills and Experience-
- Mental Concentration: Ability to concentrate for several hours each day on complex systems and calculations involving large volumes of transactions while responding in a timely manner to requests for assistance from service users
- Up to date and working knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations, standards and core disciplines of work area including medium and long term planning, budget preparation and budget monitoring, service costing and SeRCOP, fees and charges and variance analysis
Knowledge and understanding of:
- functions of local government
- major issues and challenges facing specific work area
- performance management
- project working
- procurement and contract management
- new approaches to commercialism in local government
- risk management
- Commitment to and clear understanding of equal opportunities
- Understanding of health and safety issues relevant to work area
- Appropriate knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and work specific software packages including Excel
- Sound working knowledge of electronic budgetary control processes and procedures
- Able to produce reports, spreadsheets, etc that are accurate, easy to understand (Plain English) and well laid out
- Experience of providing sound financial advice to managers which enables them to achieve business aims and comply with financial regulations and good practice.
- Evidence of dealing with complex financial matters and identifying potential solutions
- Experience of monitoring budgets and creating systems to support good financial control
- Experience gained working in Local Government
- Proficient user of Finance systems /databases
121 Jobs is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.